Friday, April 4, 2008

Exotic Peoples Mix in Yunnan



Yunnan Province is home to 25 ethnic minority people groups. China has 55 ethnic minority peoples throughout this huge country. The fact that almost half of the minority groups can be found in Yunnan Province tells you that this area is a real mixture of many peoples. Walking down the street in Kunming is often a feast for the eyes if you are a 'people watcher' like me. Many of these minority groups have an 'exotic' look. They are truly beautiful people and much more interesting to look at than the everyday Han Chinese, which make up the majority of the population in China. In fact, the Han Chinese make up 92% of the population of China and 19% of the entire global population. Living here I often feel 'like a minority' being white-skinned. It's a different feeling, but I am getting used to it. So, I love looking around and seeing the Chinese minority peoples, especially if they happen to be wearing their ethnic dress. They add such variety to the sea of people around me. They, along with all the ex-pats, make a refreshing, ethnic mix of people living in Kunming.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I loved that part of Yunnan too.